If you are hungry and wanting some yummy Italian comfort food I suggest this lasagne type casserole. I made it with zucchini but it would be great with yellow squash or eggplant too.
- 2-3lbs zucchini -sliced thin lengthwise
- 2 packages of arugula washed and sautéed with garlic until wilted
- Mushrooms of your choice lightly sautéed in butter and salt (optional)
- Tomato sauce of your choice
- 1-2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 1 small sweet onion sliced thin and lightly sautéed in butter until translucent
- 3 garlic cloves
- S & P
- Olive Oil
Place zucchini in a single file on racks over paper towels or cloths, sprinkle with salt on both sides and let sit for 30 or 40 mins.
Dry zucchini as much as possible and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in over at 400 degrees about 15-20 mins.
Mix Ricotta with egg and salt and pepper.
Prepare casserole dish. Spread bottom with tomato sauce. Layer zucchini, tomato sauce, ricotta, arugula mix, mushroom mix and the start over. Layer until finished.
Top with plops of fresh mozzarella. If you have any herbs on hand such as basil or thyme add those. If not it’s fine.
Back uncovered 30 mins.
Broil for about 2 mis until just browning.
Let sit for 10 mins then serve with crusty bread and wine. Or skip the bread. Anyway enjoy.