02 Apr Meatball Comfort Soup
This is a rich tomato-y, lemony- meatball and spinach soup. Perfect comfort food on a chilly night. This soup takes about an hour to come together on a weeknight but tastes like it’s been simmering all day. I always use store bought chicken broth in this soup because I usually just throw it together really quickly. If you want to go ahead and make your own stock go ahead! Even better!
For the meatballs:
- 1lb ground pork
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp pepper
- 1tsp smoky paprika
- 2 medium cloves of garlic minced
- 1 handful of spinach leaves chopped
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 3 tsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 small shall diced
For the stock:
- 2-3 quarts chicken stock deposing on how broth you want it. I like it broth.
- 1 medium shallot diced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 12 oz can whole peeled tomatoes with theirs juices. No added herbs.
- 2-3 large Meyer lemons
- 1 large bag of spinach leaves
Mix all meatball ingredients together in a large bowl and make 24-26 slightly smaller than golf ball sized meatballs. Brown these in some olive oil until pretty brown on all sides.
- Next cook your shallots in some olive oil until translucent or slightly brown
- Add stock
- Add tomatoes
- Add cooked meatballs
- Add the juices of 2 Meyer lemons
- Bring to a boil. Turn down heat and let simmer for an hour
- Just before serving add spinach and serve when still green and slightly wilted
- Add more lemon to individual bowls if needed. I like mine lemon-y