04 Apr CopyCat Buckeye RoadHouse Tuna Salad
One of my all time absolute favorite restaurants in Mill Valley is The Buckeye Roadhouse. I go there a couple times a week for both lunch and dinner. I crave their Ahi Tuna Salad and must have it minimum once a week. One night friends were common over and so I decided to try and recreate it.
The ingredients are fairly simple: red and green cabbage, scallions, crispy fried wontons, strips of raw red peppers black & white sesame seeds, pickled ginger and seared Ahi Tuna. For the dressing I used Rice Wine vinegar, Soy Sauce, Sesame oil a little sugar and sricha and…a dab of mayonnaise! My friends that I was cooing for were highly skeptical of this move. Highly skeptical..
So I set out to make it. My 1st setback came when the grocery store had no WonTons to fry. Hmmmm…..but they did have Lasagne noodles. Ok that’ll do. Next I found a beautiful piece of tuna gathered up the rest of my ingredients and went home to see what would happen.
Well I have to say it was amazing!! Nothing short of fabulous! It is probably a very different dressing than what The Buckeye uses but the flavors were there and it tasted spot on! Success!
For the Salad:
- 1/2 a green cabbage
- 1/2 a red cabbage
- 2 scallions chopped green and white parts
- Crispy fried wontons -I fried a lasagne noodle and it worked fine
- Sliced red peppers
- Slices of pickled ginger
- 1 thick slice Ahi Tuna-measure according to how much you want per person
- Black and White Sesame Seeds
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Sesame oil
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 1Tsp Sriracha
- 1 Tsp Mayonnaise-Don’t omit!
Assemble the salad
- Chop both cabbages
- Slice red peppers
- Chop Scallions
- Fry Wontons or Lasagne noodle
- Pat Ahi Tuna with a generous amount of both black and white sesame seeds
- Place cabbages and peppers in a large bowl
- Add sliced ginger
- Sear Tuna until just the outsides are brown and the inside is still very rare
- Slice Tuna and add to cabbages and other ingredients
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar. Shake well to emulsify.
Pour some dressing over salad and sprinkle with more Sesame Seeds and serve.